Fried rice is my ultimate comfort food. I grew up on it and it was the first meal I learnt to cook. Since eliminating oil from our family meals I wondered if I’d manage to achieve that same warm and cosy feeling I got from a massive steaming bowl in front of the tv with my pjs on as I did when I was a teenager. This recipe hits the spot. I have used romensco cauliflower in this dish as it’s a gorgeous bright green and we don’t often get it here in Qatar. However, it’s just as good with broccoli and in fact the whole dish can be adjusted according to whatever veggies you have knocking around. It’s a great user upper recipe just always keep the rice, garlic, onion, stock and soy sauce the same.
My kids love this for dinner and everyone loves it cold in their lunchbox although I tend to add butter beans or chickpeas in with the kids so they get an added protein hit. And if I can get away with it I’ll throw in some chopped kale too 🙂
Serves – A family of 4
Note: It’s actually even better if you have leftover rice from the day before but do make sure it’s fully reheated through and for children I would advise they only eat it that day.
- 1 Cup of Wholewheat Rice
- 1/2 Chopped Romensco Cauliflower
- 250g Firm Tofu
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Cloves of Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 Tin of Sweetcorn
- 3 Tbls Soy Sauce
- 100ml Hot Veggie Stock or Water
- Boil the rice. Once cooked give give a stir to let the steam out of the pan or rice cooker so it cools a little.
- Prep the veggies. The cauliflower needs to be in small florets as it will be stir fried for a short time.
- In a non-stick pan fry the garlic and onion with enough of the stock or water to make it sizzle but not swim or dry out. Once the onion has softened throw in the cauliflower and stir fry for 5-10 minutes. Add more liquid as you need.
- Add the rice and give it a good stir so every thing is mixed up. Crumble in the tofu and finish with the sweetcorn and soy sauce. Taste and season as required.
- Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner x